Togo sports minister Richard Kweku Attipoe has questioned the decision to sack Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor from the national team.
Adebayor was axed on Sunday along with Kader Coubadja and Nibombe Dare after protesting over unpaid bonuses.
Attipoe has been mediating between the Togo Football Federation (FTF) and the players after a threat to boycott Saturday's win over Sierra Leone.
"I don't understand the decision to sack the players," Attipoe said.
"The FTF asked me to mediate with the players and they agreed to play without any conditions.
"With the mediation process still going on, I don't understand why the FTF took the decision to sack the players.
Adebayor revealed on Friday that Togolese internationals, who threatened to boycott last year's World Cup over a bonus row, are still waiting to receive their payments for reaching the finals in Germany.
According to the TFT, it will not be able to meet the agreements reached with the players over their bonuses because the payments from Fifa fall below expectations.
"The FTF board told me that the World Cup payments received from Fifa are short of what was expected," Attipoe told BBC Sport.
"So there is the need for us to renegotiate with the players and reach a compromise deal.
"I will continue to mediate between the FTF and the players for us to reach a deal for peace to return to Togo football."